Masoor Dal (red lentils) with nigella and mustard seeds
1 cup masoor dal (red lentils)
2-3 cups water
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp nigella seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
3-4 dried red chillies
1 onion finely chopped
1 chopped tomato or 100ml pureed tomatoes
2-4 bullet chillies sliced
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. In a pan boil the dal in the water. Add the ginger garlic paste, green chillies, turmeric, salt. Boil until dal is of a mashed consistency.
2. In a separate pan heat the oil, add the nigella seeds and mustard seeds and let it sizzle. Add the dried red chillies, onion and sautéed until lightly golden.
3. Add the tomato and cook out 5-7 minutes.
4. Add the dal to the tarka mix well add a splash of water and let simmer 10 minutes.
5. Garnish with bullet chillies and fresh coriander.