Vegetable Pilau mixed pickle and plain yoghurt
3 cups water
2 cups rice
1/2 cup ghee or vegetable oil
1/4 cup oil or ghee if using
2 bay leaves
4 green cardamoms,
5- 6 black peppercorns,
1 black cardamon,
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp fennel seeds
2 large onions sliced
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tomato chopped
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1 tsp cumin crushed
1 tsp coriander crushed
1/2 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp red chilli powder
2 green chillies whole
handful dried plums
2 potatoes cut into half then quartered
salt to taste add extra
1 cup mixed vegetables
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Boil 3 cups of water in a kettle. Keep to use later.
2. Soak 2 cups water in water and set aside
3. In a deep vessel heat ghee or oil
Add bay leaves, green cardamoms, black peppercorns, cloves, black cardamon, cinnamon stick and fennel seeds
4. Fry the sliced onions until lightly golden brown.
5. Add the tbsp ginger garlic paste and cook a minute.
6. Add the chopped tomato.
7. Add the garam masala cumin powder, coriander powder, coriander seeds and red chilli powder.
8. Add the green chillies, dried plums, potatoes and the salt.
9. Add a splash of water if required.
10. Add a cup of mixed vegetables let cook 5 minutes.
11. Add the water from the kettle and bring to boil.
12. Drain the rice ( I had soaked 2 cups basmati rice ) and add to the pan mix gently, check seasoning, add 1 tbsp lemon juice
13. Boil until bubbles start forming and water almost evaporated then cover and simmer 15 -20 minutes until rice cooked