( 3 stages but this is not as difficult as it appears)
1) Preparing the Yoghurt Mixture:
In a bowl take 1.5 cups sour yoghurt and whisk together until smooth
Add 8 to 10 tbsp gram flour ( dependant on consistency) 1/2 to 1 tsp red chilli powder 1/2 tsp turmeric 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala and 1 tsp salt mix into whisked yoghurt
Now add 2 cups water and 1 cup milk mix well ensuring there are no lumps (if you find lumps break them up )
2. Preparing the Pakoda
Use 1 to 2 cups gram flour add 1/2 tsp carom (ajwain) seeds 1/2 to 1 tsp red chilli powder 1/2 to 1 tsp tsp garam masala 1/2 to 1 tsp cumin powder and 1/2 tsp salt
Add 1 cup onions about ( 2 onions from finely sliced )
Mix well and set aside approx 30 minutes
This will allow onions to release its own water and the mixture to become moist
Then accordingly add water to make a thick batter approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup if not too moist
Heat oil for deep frying with a spoon in turn drop the pakora batter into the oil to form pakoras , when partly cooked turn them over
Fry until they are crisp and golden
Remove the fried pakoras and place them on a kitchen paper towel so that extra oil is absorbed. Fry the pakoras in batches this way. When done keep all of them aside.
3. Preparing the Kadhi
1. In another large deep pan or kadai, heat 2 tbsp mustard oil or vegetable oil
2. Add 1 tsp cumin seeds, 8 to 10 methi seeds/fenugreek seeds and allow the cumin seeds to crackle and the methi seeds to change their color. fry on a low flame, so that these spices do not get burnt.
3. Add ⅓ cup chopped onion. stir and saute for 3 minutes on a low flame.
4. Then add 1 tbsp chopped ginger, ¾ to 1 tbsp chopped garlic and 2 green chillies, chopped. Stir and saute for a minute.
5. Now add 8 to 10 curry leaves, 2 dry red chilies (halved or broken).
6. Stir and saute for a minute on a low flame
7. Then add the yoghurt mixture and stir very well
8. Increase the flame to medium and bring the kadhi to a boil. keep on stirring often so that the bottom does not get browned
9. Lower the flame and then simmer the kadhi for 6 to 7 minutes. the kadhi will thicken. if the kadhi becomes too thick, then add some hot water.
10. The kadhi is ready now. Gently add the pakoras
11. In a separate frying pan heat oil a few tbsp add a couple of whole red chillies 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and 4 to 6 curry leaves give a tarka
13. Cover the kadhi with a lid and let the onion pakoras be soaked in the kadhi for 8 to 10 minutes.
14. Sprinkle some garam masala powder on the kadhi
15. Garnish with fresh coriander and chopped green chillies (optional)
Serve hot with rice