Phirni - Indian dessert
1 litre milk
10 cardamom pocs
3 tbsp finely ground rice ( raw uncooked rice )
6-7 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp blanched slivered almonds
2 tbsp finely chopped unsalted pistachios
saffron threads pre soaked in milk
1/2 tsp green cardamom powder
1 tbsp almond flakes
1. Pour the milk into a wide, preferably non-stick pan.
2. Add the cardamom pods and bring to a boil without letting the milk spill over.
3. Quickly turn heat to medium- the milk should simmer vigourously as possible without boiling over- and cook, stirring now and then, for about 15-20 mins.
4. or until the milk has reduced to 750 ml (1 1/4 pints).
5. Sprinkle the ground rice slowly into the pan, stirring as you go.
6. Add the sugar as well.
7. Stir now and then cooking for 7-8 mins.
8. or until the pudding has thickened to a creamy consistency, turning the heat down a bit towards the end.
9. Turn off the heat and pick out the cardamom pods and discard.
10. Roast the almonds and pistachios lightly over a cast iron griddle pan.
11. Set aside.
12. When the pudding has cooled to lukewarm stir in the almonds and saffron into it.
13. Ladle the pudding into 4-6 small serving cups (the kind used for caramel custard) Sprinkle the top with the pistachios and cover with cling film.
14. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours until cold and set.