Khatti (Sour) Daal
I made this dish by eye so I can’t be precise with the quantities but I have tried to estimate.
For this recipe I used a kokum piece for the souring agent instead of tamarind but both would work. Soak one to two kokum pieces in a little water say half a cup 30 minutes before cooking then add the kokum and strained water to the dal.
I made this with toor dal oily but you can use arhar dal too which is also a form of split pigeon peas.
To boil daal
1 cup toor daal (oily)
1 tbsp fresh ginger sliced
2 tomatoes chopped
1 tsp turmeric
3 to 4 green chillies
2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
6-8 fenugreek seeds
2-3 kokum pieces
soaked in 100ml boiling water 30 minutes before hand or over night
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves sliced
2 to 3 dried red chillies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
5 fresh curry leaves
1. Boil the lentils with the fresh ginger, tomatoes, turmeric, green chillies sliced and salt to taste.
2. Once the lentils have boiled remove any bits and pieces. Strain the daal and set aside.
3. In a separate pan heat a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil, add the fenugreek seeds (6-8) heat a minute or so and then pour over the daal.
4. Add the water of the soaked Kokum to the daal little by little stirring in then add the kokum pieces.
5. Add a second tarka by heating the oil, asafoetida, add the garlic cloves, dried red chillies, cumin seeds, fresh curry leaves.
Pour over the daal and enjoy Ayoub.