A beautiful Courgette Curry
1/3 cup oil
2 medium onions thinly sliced
5-6 garlic cloves crushed
1 inch piece ginger crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 medium tomato cubed
1 tsp salt or more to taste
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder or to taste
1 tsp turmeric
2 green chillies
3 large (1 to 1 1/4 lb) green zucchini squash washed, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch half-moons
1. Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the sliced onions, and sauté until they are lightly golden, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds. Sauté until the raw smell of the ginger and garlic disappears, about 20-30 seconds. Add the cubed tomato, salt, coriander powder, black pepper powder, and red chili powder. Sauté for a minute, then stir in the zucchini and 1/4 cup of water. Mix well, ensuring that the zucchini is well coated.
3. Cover and let cook for 7 minutes, stirring once in between. Once most of the water has dried up, use a wooden spoon to break the zucchini into pieces. Add the sliced green chili pepper and turmeric and sauté for a few minutes.
4. Lower the heat to the lowest setting, cover and continue to cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring half-way. If you’re afraid it will stick to the pan, add a splash of water. Uncover and stir well. Taste and adjust salt.
5. When the water has completely dried up and the zucchini is very well cooked, turn off the heat and garnish with cilantro, if desired.