Chickpeas and Potato Pilau
2 cups basmati rice - soak this in water for 30 minutes
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 onions finely sliced
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2-3 green chillies finely chopped
2 -3 chopped tomatoes / pureed
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
3-4 tsp salt
can of chickpeas
2 to 3 chopped potatoes optional
3 cups boiling water
1. Soak the rice in water 30 minutes.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large utensil.
3. Chop the onions and fry until golden brown.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste cook for approximately 1 minute.
5. Add 2-3 green chillies and stir 30 seconds.
6. Add the tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.
7. Add the chilli powder, crushed chilli flakes and stir well, ass 3 to 4 tsp salt and stir a few minutes.
8. Add a can of chickpeas with its water and cook approximately 5 minutes.
9. Optional add a couple of chopped potatoes at the same time.
10. Add 3 cups boiling water and bring to boil.
11. Rinse the rice approx 5 washes then add to the dish and stir in gently.
12. Cover and cook 10 -15 minutes until water starts to bubble on the surface.
13. Add a handful of fresh coriander and stir in gently.
cover with foil then lid reduce heat and cook 20-30 minutes on low to moderate heat until rice cooked
Enjoy with Raita