A really simple Aloo Gobi for a weekday
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 onion finely sliced
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 green chillies chopped
1 tsp red chilli powder
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 to 3 tomatoes pureed or 1/4 can tomato passata
4-6 cauliflower stems
3 potatoes chopped
1 cauliflower chopped in bite size pieces
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1. Heat vegetable oil in a utensil.
2. Add the onion and fry until translucent.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook approx and continue to cook until onion base is lightly golden brown.
4. Add green chillies cook a minute
5. Add chilli powder, salt and turmeric.
6. Add tomatoes stir well
7. Add splashes of water and stir until oil leaves the sides
8. Take the cauliflower stems and slice it up finely add it to the base and cook approximately 5-7 minutes
9. Chop potatoes and add to the dish and cook 5 minutes or so covered stir once in between if you feel it’s required
10. Chop the cauliflower in bite size pieces and add to the dish stir well a few minutes add 1/2 a cup of water
11. Cover and cook approximately 20 - 30 minutes on moderate heat stirring in between once or twice until the potatoes and the cauliflower is cooked you should see the oil come out on the sides and the potatoes should be tender
12. Add a handful of fresh coriander stir cover and cook another 5 minutes if you wish
13. Sprinkle a pinch Garam masala