Simple Toor Dal (Oily)
This recipe will feed 2-4 people.
1 cup toor daal oily
2 to 3 cups water
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 dried red chillies
1 red onion sliced
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tomatoes chopped
optional 5-7 fresh curry leaves
one handful fresh coriander and extra for garnish
2 to 3 green chillies
1. Add the toor daal, water, turmeric and salt in a pan. Boil the daal until soft skimming the frothy surface when required.
2. In a pan heat the vegetable oil and when hot add the cumin seeds, dried red chillies, and asafoetida And fresh curry leaves. Let sizzle a minute.
3. Add the diced onion and fry until lightly golden.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste cook a minute until the rawness disappears.
5. Add turmeric, chopped tomatoes and let cook until oil leaves the sides.
Add the daal to the pan with any remaining water add more water if required dependant on the consistency you want to achieve.
6. Add a handful of fresh coriander and 2/3 chopped green chillies and let cook covered with its lid a further 10 15 minutes
7. Adjust the seasoning if required.
Garnish with fresh coriander