Mushroom Masala in a Chilli, Spinach and Yogurt sauce
If you're not keen on the idea of the whole chillies - they can be left out and it will become Mushroom Masala in a Spinach and Yogurt Sauce.
The recipe is for 2 servings.
2 generous cups of mushrooms - chopped or sliced (not too thin)
1 chopped onion
3 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
1 medium tomato - chopped
1 heaped teaspoon tomato puree
cinammon stick, 2 cloves, 2 green cardomoms
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
4 - 6 green finger chillies (optional)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
salt to taste
4 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 good handfuls of shredded spinach
handful of chopped fresh coriander
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
2-3 pinches of paprika powder
1) Blend onion with ginger/garlic paste in a blender till smooth. Transfer to a separate dish and set aside.
2) In same blender, puree the tomato till it's smooth.
3) Fry the whole spices - cinammon, cloves, cardomoms, and cumin seeds, along with the chillies (if using) in hot oil until the spices. start to splutter. The chillies may start to go black, that's ok.
4) Add the ginger garlic onion paste mixture to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes until mixture starts to thicken a little.
5) Now add the blended tomato along with the tomato puree
6) Add the turmeric, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
7) Cook until the oil separates.
8) Add the mushrooms and the yogurt, mix well.
9) Add about half a cup of water stirring well and cook on low heat with lid on for approx 10 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked.
10) Towards the end of cooking time, add the shredded spinach and chopped coriander and stir in.
11) Just before serving add the garam masala and dried fenugreek leaves.
12) Finish by sprinkling with a couple of pinches of paprika powder.