This is a wonderful hot and spicy budget dish. white cabbage can be bought at less than a pound. It is great eaten on its own or as a side. You may use anywhere from 1/2 a cabbage to a whole one and can serve from 3 to 6 people dependant on how much cabbage is used.
This dish can be eaten with roti or rice.
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp brown mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 round red chillies / or any other dried red chillies
1 onion finely sliced
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste - if making fresh make the paste with ginger garlic and green chilli enough to make a tbsp
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin seeds crushed
1 tbsp coriander seeds crushed
1/4 tin or 1/2 tin tomato passata
I used 1/2 a white cabbage but a whole cabbage would also work with the quantities stated. 3-5 green chillies
5-7 fresh green curry leaves - if you don’t have them leave them out
1/2 tsp Garam Masala
1. Heat the vegetable oil and when hot add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dried red chillies and let it splutter one minute
2. Add the sliced onion and fry until translucent
3. Add the ginger garlic green chilli paste and cook a minute
4. Add the turmeric, red chilli flakes, crushed cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds and stir 30 seconds.
5. now add the tomato passata, I use approx 1/4 can but you can add up to 1/2 can to make the masala
6. now slice the white cabbage and add as much as you like from 1/2 to a full cabbage
7. slice the green chillies and add them to the dish, add the fresh curry leaves if you have them stir and cook covered 10 minutes.
8. add a handful fresh coriander, 1/2 tsp ground garam masala and stir in.
9. Serve with rice or roti as a main or side dish.