A delicious tarka dhal for dinner.
2 cups of red split lentils
1. Add enough water just to cover
2. Add the tumeric and salt
3. Bring to the boil then turn down to a low heat and simmer until dhal is cooked.
Prepare the tarka in the meantime:
1 large onion
Garlic ginger paste or frozen cubes
3 Kashmiri chillis
1tsp cumin seeds
2tsp garam masala
1tsp chilli powder
2 chopped tomatoes
Chopped coriander and fresh lemon wedges.
1. Heat some oil
2. Add the cumin seeds & chills for 30 seconds until they start to change colour (don’t burn!)
3. Add the garlic ginger then
4. Add the onions and soften for around 20-25 minutes until they turn a light brown colour
5. Add the spices and cook through for a few minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook through
7. Turn the heat and stir well.
8. Immediately pour into the dhal
9. Spoon some of the dhal into the empty tarka saucepan to deglaze.
10. Immediately pour back into the dhal and cover to let the flavours infuse.
11.Add the chopped coriander and stir through.
12. Squeeze some lemon and serve.