This recipe belongs to our lovely curry club family member Shar who has a wealth of knowledge and expertise cooking Sri Lankan food. Thank you.
600g potatoes ( Maris Piper, Charlotte, KE or New potatoes)
1 large onion
2 green chillies
3 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp salt
Pandan leaves * ( If you can find any)
Small piece of cinnamon
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tblspns vegetable oil
300 ml / 1 mug of coconut milk
1) Peel, wash and cut potatoes into small halves or chunky quarters.
2) In a deep saucepan add 1-2 tblspns of oil and sauté the garlic and sliced onions. Add curry leaves, pandan leaves and cinnamon stick stir and let the spices release their aroma into the oil.
3) Now add the turmeric, fenugreek seeds and cumin, stir for 30 seconds. Next add the potatoes and green chillies. Add salt. Mix well.
Cook for about 1-2 mins.
4) Now add enough water to cover the potatoes. Close lid and let it cook for 15 minutes uninterrupted on a medium flame.
5) In the meantime mix 2 tblspns of coconut milk powder in one mug of hot water. After about 14- 15 mins have passed add the coconut milk, stir well and cook for further 3-4 minutes with lid open.( Do not cook potatoes longer than 20 minutes or it will disintegrate depending on the variety you are using.)
Check seasoning and its done.
Serve with rice or naan paired with other dishes.
Ps- This is a good potato curry to serve along with any HOT Sri Lankan dishes. The mild creamyness of the gravy balances out with the heat of the meat curries on a menu. Perfect for kids too, as an introduction to spicy food. Very mild.