Pathia by The Curry Kid
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 finely sliced large onion brown/white
1.5 teaspoons garlic paste
1.5 teaspoons ginger paste
2 green chillies
1/3 cup fresh coriander stalks or 1/2 cup fresh coriander (chopped finely) 1 teaspoon mix powder / curry powder
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1.25 teaspoon coriander powder
3/4 teaspoon cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
4 teaspoons tomato paste mixed with 4 teaspoons of water
1/2 teaspoon tamarind paste
250 millilitres water
1 tablespoon mango chutney smooth
1 tablespoon lemon
1/2 cup coriander fresh/chopped
1 teaspoon fenugreek leaves kasoori methi
choice of protein
1. Start by heating the oil on medium add the bay leaf and onions and fry gently until the onions start to turn golden.
2. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute before adding the diced green chillies and stirring through.
3. Now add the mix powder, chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, sugar, salt, tomato paste and the coriander stalks if you are using them and fry for 1-2 minutes. If it starts to burn or look too dry add a little bit of the water. It’s fine to add water at any time when needed. If you are not adding coriander stalks, you’ll be adding most of your fresh chopped coriander near the end, don’t add that yet.
4. Turn up the heat and add the tamarind paste and half of the hot water and stir through well. Cook for a further minute or two then stir in the rest of the water.
5. Simmer for a minute then add the mango chutney and lemon juice, stir in well.
6. Add your choice of protein, stir through and continue to simmer.
7. After a few minutes add the dried methi leaves and if you didn’t add the stalks earlier most of the chopped fresh coriander.
8. Stir through and continue to simmer until the meat is cooked and the sauce is the thickness you require stirring occasionally if it looks like it’s about to burn.
9. Serve decorated with the remaining fresh chopped coriander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNebkUw_vk