2 cups chana daal
11/2 medium onion finely chopped
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1-2 green chillies finely chopped
1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp salt or according to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder or to taste
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp whole cumin seeds
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup vegetable oil as lentils take up more oil it’s all up to own’s preferences
1/4 bar of coconut cream or 1/2 cup coconut milk
Fresh chopped coriander for garnish
1. Par boil daal in a pan on medium heat for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a pan add the oil once hot add the cinnamon stick and cumin seeds once it starts to sizzle.
3. Add the onions and fry until golden brown approximately 10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic ginger cook for a minUte on medium heat, add the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes blend with the onions.
5. Now gradually start adding dry ingredients and keep on stirring add the coconut cream/milk stir and cook on medium low heat until colour start changing.
6. Now add the daal mix well and keep on stirring on medium low heat until the oil starts separating if the oil is less now is the time to add some more oil,and stir for 5-10 minutes. Add a cup of water depending how thick you prefer the sauce to be. Bring it to boil then lower the heat cover and simmer for further 5 -7 minutes or until daal is cooked.
7. Garnish with coriander.