Mum‘s Chickpeas with potatoes
1 can chickpeas
1 large onion chopped
2 fresh tomatoes chopped
1 green chilli finely sliced
1tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp paprika powder
1tsp garlic/ginger paste
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp crushed chillies
2tps fresh coriander chopped
1 tbs dry fenugreek leaves (optional) gives good aroma to the curry
2 medium potatoes cut into cubes/ bite size chunks
1/2-1 cup oil
1. Par boil potatoes about 5 minutes drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan on medium to high heat, once the oil is hot add the cumin seeds, cardamom and chilli flakes mix well.
3. Once sizzles add the onions and sauté until its tender and turns light golden brown.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and stir for a minUte then add the tomatoes and continue to stir until the tomatoes are soft about 5-7 minutes.
5. Now add the dry spices except dry fenugreek leaves, mix will and keep on stirring for 5-7 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes and drained chickpeas, mix well keep on stirring for about 10min on medium to low heat.
7. Crumble the dry fenugreek leaves between your palm(it brings out the aroma) and add in to the curry.
8. Add 1–2 cups of water (depending on the thickness of the sauce you desire) bring to boil then reduce the heat to low cover and simmer for 5-10 min,then garnish with fresh coriander.