Vegetable Curry for the cold winter nights
Half a cup vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
2 green cardamoms
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 sliced onions
1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
2 chopped tomatoes or some passata or tinned tomatoes
2 chopped potatoes in bite size pieces. You can parboil the potatoes if you wish.
1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder. If you don’t have any use normal chilli powder.
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste
1 tbsp TCCHC coriander powder 1/2 tsp crushed cumin seeds
handful cauliflower florets
garden peas/sweet corn
handful of okra / carrots any vegetables. you can par boil the carrots if you wish.
Water - Add about a glass to a glass water when leaving to simmer and use as many splashes of water when cooking the onion tomato masala
lemon juice 2 tsp
Fresh coriander - handful
Pinch Garam Masala
Green chilli - sliced
1. Heat oil in a deep pan or Karhai.
2. When hot add green cardamom, bay leaves and cumin seeds and let sizzle.
3. Add the chopped onions and cook until light golden brown approx 10 minutes.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste cook a minute.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until jammy consistency. Keep cooking until onions and tomatoes amalgamate approximately 5-7 minutes adding splashes of water in between.
6. Add the potatoes and carrots at this stage if you haven’t par boiled them and cook a few minutes or so and mix well.
7. Add the spices red chilli powder salt turmeric cumin coriander and mix well
8. Add the cauliflower florets and stir gently.
9. If using par boiled potatoes and carrots add them now. Add the peas and sweet corn stir gently.
10. Add the okra if using and stir in gently.
11. Mix all well.
12. Add a glass of water approximately 150 ml water bring to boil then simmer.
13. Let cook 10 to 15 minutes. The oil should rise.
14. Add the lemon juice.
15. Sprinkle the Garam Masala
Garnish with fresh coriander and green chillies