1/2 cup vegetable oil
5 potatoes chopped and par boiled
2 onions finely sliced
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 Indian bay leaves (tej patta)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp The Curry Club Home-cooking Pakistani Basaar mix
100g or so of tomato passata add more if you prefer but you don’t want it to taste too tomatoey.
1 tbsp plain yoghurt
2 sliced green chillies - optional
dash of lemon juice
1/2 tsp The Curry Club Home-cooking Garam Masala mix
Fresh coriander for garnish
1. Chop and peel 5 potatoes in small pieces preferably bite size.
2. Parboil the potatoes add a pinch of salt to the water.
3. Heat the cooking oil in a utensil.
4. When hot add 1 tsp mustard seeds and 1 tsp cumin seeds and let sizzle.
5. Add 2 Indian bay leaves (tej patta).
6. Add the chopped onions and a pinch of salt and fry until translucent. The onions should be soft and lightly golden. It should take about 10 minutes.
7. Add kashmiri chilli powder, salt and basaar and stir 30 seconds.
8. Add the tomatoes and 1/2 a cup of water and cook 5-7 minutes until you see the oil leaving the sides.
9. Add the yoghurt and cook it out. It takes about 3 minutes or so.
10. Add the potatoes and sliced green chillies if using and mix gently cook 5-10 minutes until potatoes cooked.
11. Add a dash of lemon juice and sprinkle the garam masala.
12. Garnish with fresh coriander.
13. Enjoy with parathas.