This is fish karhai recipe from a fish restaurant in Karachi Pakistan called Yadgar Fish. It was really delicious and very quick and easy to make. We had it alongside a Pakistani Aloo dish. Beautiful.
Pakistani Fish Karhai inspired by Yadgar Restaurant in Karachi Pakistan
The dish is made on moderate high heat in a karhai over 10- 12 minutes but I found I needed more time so have given time estimates as per my own experience of cooking this. I also adjusted some of the ingredient quantities to my own taste buds when making this dish but the recipe is as follows
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 to 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste I used 2
250g tomato passata
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp black pepper
10 fresh curry leaves
2-3 sliced green chillies
250g white boneless fish the recipe called for surmai fish
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp fresh coriander
1 inch ginger cut julienne
1. Heat the cooking oil.
2. Add the ginger garlic paste and let cook one minute.
3. Add the tomato passata and stir well.
4. Add salt to taste, cumin seeds, crushed coriander seeds, red chilli flakes, turmeric, black pepper powder. Stir frequently 5-7 minutes
5. Add the curry leaves and sliced green chillies.
6. Add the fish and stir gently on high heat making sure you don’t burn the bottom for approximately 5minutes.
7. Add 1/4 cup water and continue to cook stirring frequently on high heat another 5 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander and ginger cut julienne