This is a dry chicken bhuna. Reduced down to concentrate the flavours.
2 large onions sliced
2 tomatoes diced
2 tej pata bay leaves
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp chilli powder
2tsp coriander powder
2tsp garam masala
1tbsp ginger & garlic
1. Heat oil and temper whole spices.
2. Add and cook and ginger & garlic.
3. Add onions and salt. The salt will draw the moisture out of the onions and help to soften.
4. Add powdered spices and tomatoes. Cook down until the oil splits. Add a splash of water and reduce down further.
5. Add the chicken and stir through until it releases its natural moisture. Add some water (not too much) cook through on a medium heat for 40 mins. Add splashes of water if necessary.
Garnish with fresh coriander and serve.
Adding the garlic & ginger or onions first is a matter of choice. However there is chance the g & g won’t cook out properly and you’ll end up with a raw taste, so it’s important to allow extra time if using that method.