Chicken Chilli Masala
Boneless thighs this time(approx 5 large)
4 tbsp oil
3 medium red onions, sliced
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
3 tej patta
1 tbsp tomato purée(diluted with 4 tbsp of water
2 heaped tsp of Rajah Chicken Masala
2 heaped tsp of kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp paprika powder
a good pinch of dried chilli flakes
8-10 fresh green finger chillies(slit)
(2 fresh, hot red chillies, crushed with 2 fresh cloves of garlic and a pinch of salt)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp crushed coriander seed
a good pinch of kasuri methi
salt to taste
a good handful of fresh chopped coriander
1. In a heated pan, add your oil and then your mustard and cumin seeds, then your tej patta, on a low flame, flavour your oil.
2. Add your onions, fry/sweat down for a good 5-10 mins until they’re almost broken down, adding boiling water along the way to stop any burning. Add your garlic and ginger and carry on cooking down until the rawness has cooked out.
3. Add your crushed chilli and garlic, stir and fry in.
4. Add the tomato purée and mix well, keep adding tiny amounts of boiling water.
5. Add your dry powder spices now (chilli flakes, chicken masala, kashmiri chilli, paprika, coriander and turmeric), and stir in well, once they’ve released their oils into the masala
6. add your chicken pieces and coat them very well, seal the meat, and then add a cup or two of boiling water. Mix well, the chicken should almost be covered in the pan, cover, and on a medium to high flame bring to a boil, then cover and simmer away on low for a good 45 minutes, I find the longer you simmer it the richer the flavour and sauce you get, there’s no rush, time makes flavour!
7. When you’re chicken is cooked and tender, season if necessary and add your kasuri methi, simmer on, add fresh chopped coriander and continue the cooking process for as long as you can wait before you tuck in!