1 to 2 cups Channa Dal pre- soaked in water, drain before us.
1/2 cup of cooking oil 1 large onion or 2 onions finely sliced
3 green chillies sliced
1 tbsp garlic ginger paste
1 tsp red chilli powder/ Kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
salt to taste
200 ml tomato passata
1 tbsp kasuri Methi
1/2 tsp TCCHC Garam Masala
fresh coriander for garnish
1 to 2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
5 cloves garlic finely sliced
2 to 3 green chillies finely sliced
1. Parboil the dal in a few cups of water until soft but not mashed.
2. In a separate karhai hear the oil, add the onions and fry until translucent.
3. Add the chopped green chillies and ginger garlic paste. Stir a minute.
4. Reduce the heat and add the spices except the kasuri methi and masala. stir it 30 seconds.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook 5-7 minutes.
6. Much of the water in the dal should have reduced by now and the dal soft. Add this to the masala.
7. Cook 5-7 minutes.
8. Add the kasuri methi and garam masala. Stir and simmer.
9. In a separate pan add the ghee, heat, then add the garlic and swirl 30 seconds. Then add the cumin seeds and green chillies. Swirl until lightly golden. Add to the dal.
10. Garnish with fresh coriander.