A nice and easy quick weekday lunch chickpeas and rice cooked in no time.
1/2 cup ghee/ vegetable or sunflower oil
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 black peppercorns
2 onions finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder,
1 tsp channa masala powder,
salt to taste,
1 tsp coriander powder,
1 tsp amchur,
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 to 2 tbsp tomato purée
2 chickpea cans and it’s water
1. Heat the ghee/ vegetable oil in a utensil.
2. Add the cinnamon stick , cumin seeds, cloves, black peppercorns and pinch asafoetida. Sizzle 30 seconds.
3. Add the onions and fry until lightly golden brown.
4. Add the ginger garlic paste and cook 1 minute.
5. Add the red Kashmiri /chilli powder , Channa masala , salt to taste , 1 coriander powder , amchur , turmeric , stir approximately 2 minutes adding splashes of water as required.
6. Add the tomato and mix well.
7. Add the chickpeas with its water and mix well. Stir 5 minutes .
8. Add a cup of water if you want more gravy and let simmer 10 / 15 minutes or so until oil leaves side.
Garnish with fresh coriander