500g goat meat diced,
3 large tomatoes chopped,
2 medium potatoes cubed,
1 large onion,
5 garlic cloves,
2" piece of ginger,
4 green chillies,
1 cup of yoghurt,
1 cup of chopped coriander,
Ginger garlic paste,
2 tablespoons kashmiri chilli powder,
2 teaspoons turmeric,
1 tablespoon coriander powder,
1 piece of cassia bark,
2 black cardamon,
3 green cardamon,
10 black peppercorns,
1 teaspoon jeera seeds,
1 teaspoon fennel seeds,
1 star anise,
1. Toast the whole spices for masala blend until fragrant then grind into powder.
2. Mix yoghurt with 1 teaspoon of ginger garlic paste, 1 tablespoon of kashmiri chilli powder and 1 teaspoon turmeric then pour over goat meat and coat completely. Leave to marinade for 3 hours minimum.
3. Add 3 tablespoons on ghee into pan and bring up to heat on a low flame.
4. Add in sliced onion and fry until caramelised - around 20 minutes.
5. Add in 1 tablespoon of ginger garlic paste and stir.
6. Add in goat and fry until meat is seared.
7. Add masala blend and the remaining dry spices then stir to cover everything, cook the rawness out of the spices - add splash of water if required to stop spices burning.
8. Add in diced tomatoes and cook them down until oil separates - around 15 minutes.
9. Add in enough water to cover meat then turn onto low flames. Place lid on top of pan and cook slowly for around 2 hours.
10. After 2 hours add in potatoes, sliced garlic cloves, sliced ginger and sliced chilli with salt to taste.
11. Add in 1 tablespoon of kasuri methi and stir.
12. Cook for a further 30 minutes until potatoes soft. Add garam masala, coriander and juice from half a lemon.