Achaari Chicken (This is a Monika Gowardhan recipe)
1 Chicken on the bone skinless medium sized pieces or even a large sized breast chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp fenugreek seeds
1 tsp mustard seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp fennel seeds
1/2 tsp nigella seeds or onions seeds
4 dried whole red chilies
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1large white onion finely sliced
1 ½ tbsp tomato puree
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2tsp red chilli powder
100 mls water
1 to 2 tbsp lightly beaten yoghurt
1tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander to garnish
1. In a heavy bottom sauce pan heat the oil. Add the fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds and nigella seeds. Sauté until they start to sizzle and pop for a min or so. Also add the whole red chillies, stirring to make sure they don’t burn.
2. Add the sliced onion and fry until light brown in colour and have softened . To the pan now add the ginger/ garlic paste. Mix well. Stir in the tomato puree, turmeric powder and chilli powder. Cook for a couple of minutes till the oil leaves the sides of the pan.
3. Add the chicken pieces cooking on high heat to make sure the pieces are sealed and coated in the gravy for 5-7 mins.
4. Add the water and bring the curry to a boil, then simmer covered on a low heat cooking for 25-30 mins until the chicken is cooked through and succulent, stirring a couple of times.
5. At this stage, add the yoghurt and stir, making sure not to let it cook for too long just a couple of minutes. Add salt and lemon juice to taste. Garnish with coriander.