Mum’s Beef and Potato Curry 👌🏽
1kg beef cut into chunks
4 to 5 cups water
1/2 can chopped tomatoes
2 medium potatoes each cut into 4 pieces
1.5 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 large onion chopped
1tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1tsp Garam masala
1 black cardamom
2 green cardamom
Pinch ground mace
1 tbs dry fenugreek leaves
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp salt or to your taste
3/4 cup cooking oil
1. In a pan add the water add the washed beef and rest of the ingredients with the exception of potatoes & dry fenugreek leaves.
2. Bring it to boil on high heat for 5 minutes.
3. Lower to moderate heat cover and cook for 45 minutes.
4. Check in between and stir frequently, once the water starts evaporating increase the heat continue stirring until the oil separates from the meat mixture.
5. Lower the heat to medium add the potatoes and fenugreek leaves (before adding crush the leaves between your palm and then add in the mixture,it brings out the flavour)
6. Now add the water and stir (depending how thick you want the sauce to be)bring it to boil then lower the heat cover & simmer for further 15-20min garnish with fresh coriander.
Alternatively if you prefer you can cook this way:
1. Heat the pan add the oil when the oil is hot add the onions sauté until light brown.
2. Add ginger garlic paste sauté for 1minute , add the tomatoes and stir until it blends with the onions.
3. Now add all the spices and stir(medium heat) until oil separates from the mixture.
4. Now add the beef and mix well and keep stirring on medium low heat to 10-15 minutes until you see the colour changing.
5. Add the water, cover and cook on medium low heat for about 15 minutes.
6. Add the potatoes and continue to cook further 10-15 minutes then check if beef is cooked(some times beef can take a bit longer to cook)once cooked garnish with fresh chopped coriander & switch off the heat