This recipe was kindly shared by one of our Curry Club family.
Marinade for the chicken
1 chicken cut into 8 pieces
2 tsp garlic and ginger paste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Ingredients for the Pilau
2 mugs basmati rice washed and soaked for one hour
1 onion finely sliced
2 finely chopped fresh green chillies
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
whole spices - 6 cloves, 3 black cardamom, 2 pieces cassia bark, 3 bay leaves.
optional - pinch of mace and nutmeg
1 tsp cumin seeds
salt to taste
1/4 tsp coarse black pepper
3.5 mugs boiled water
1. Soak the rice in water for one hour.
2. Marinade the chicken with marinade spices listed above. Marinade for at least an hour but it’s better overnight.
3. in some oil heat and brown till sealed and half cooked.
4. While that is cooking fry the onion until golden brown add the green chillies, chilli powder, turmeric, whole spices, mace and nutmeg of using, cumin seeds, salt and pepper.
5. Cook for a few seconds add 3 and 1/2 mugs boiled water.
6. Add chicken and cook till nearly tender.
7. Add the rice and salt continue cooking till the rice has absorbed all the water put on tight lid and cook on low flame for 15 minutes.