Lamb and Potato Curry
1 cup vegetable oil or ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves
2 dried red chillies
1 cinnamon stick 5cm
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp garlic
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 kg lamb meat
2 chopped onion (diced or sliced)
2 to 3 chopped tomatoes (diced) or 1/2 can tomato passata
1 tbsp red kashmiri chilli powder
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp cumin powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 potatoes chopped
water to cover
1 inch ginger cut julienne
2 green chillies finely chopped
1 tsp garam masala
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns, dried red chillies and cinnamon stick. Let sizzle.
3. Add the ginger and garlic.
4. Add fennel seeds.
5. Add the lamb meat. Sauté 5 minutes or so.
6. Add onions and fry until light golden.
7. Add tomatoes, turmeric, red kashmiri chilli powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Let cook on moderate heat 15 minutes until tomatoes form masala.
8. Add the potatoes sautée in masala 5 minutes.
9. Add water to cover (dependant on how thick or thin you want your gravy )
10. Bring to boil.
11. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes until lamb cooked
12. Then sprinkle Garam masala all over and stir.
13. Garnish with the ginger and the green chillies.
Discard whole spices before serving