Kashmiri Lamb and Potato Curry
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 star anise
3 green cardamoms
1 cinnamon stick 5cm
2 bay leafs
2 onions finely sliced
1 to 2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
3 tsp Kashmiri basaar mix
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 kg lamb on the bone
3 potatoes chopped into pieces
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the cumin seeds, cloves, star anise, green cardamoms, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and let sizzle a minute
3. Add the onions and fry until lightly golden approx 15 minutes on moderate heat.
4. Add garlic and ginger and let cook a minute.
5. Reduce heat to add spices. Mix well and let cook a minute or so.
6. Add the tomato purée well and stir until oil separates.
7. Add the lamb and mix well. Let cook 5-7 minutes.
8. Add water so that it just covers the meat and put the lid on let cook on moderate heat for 30 to 40 minutes
9. Add potatoes (add a little more water if needed).
10. Let cook for another 30 minutes or so until potatoes and meat cooked
Garnish with fresh coriander 😊
*photo credits and dish made by Greg Crawford