Courgette and Cumin Curry
2 medium sized courgettes
3 tbsp cooking oil
1/2 a large onion diced
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
3 cloves crushed garlic
1 inch ginger chopped
freshly chopped green chilli
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup water
1 tsp cumin seeds
chilli flakes to taste
1. Slice 2 medium sized courgettes and put aside.
2. Finely dice the onion and cook in oil until golden
3. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 mins on medium heat stirring frequently.
4. Add of each of haldi, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and paprika. Add salt or to your preference and then add garlic and ginger then cook this masala base for 5 mins on medium hear continuously stirring so it does not stick to bottom of pan.
5. Add courgettes and cook for 3 mins.
Add freshly chopped green chilli. I like to add at this stage to get full flavour from chilli.
6. Continue cooking and stirring till you see oil beginning to seperate around the sides - probably another 5 mins since adding green chilli them add 1 cup of milk and half cup water bring to boil
7. Sauce will start to reduce and thicken - at this stage I add 1 tsp cumin seeds which are essential for this dish then I added chilli flakes at this stage as found I wanted more heat
8. When sauce had thickened to your liking and you see oil separating again around sides then add fresh coriander and turn off heat - serve with chappatti