Beef and potato curry.
You can use lamb instead.
4 green cardamoms
5 Kashmiri chillies
A couple of tej pata bay leaves
2 large onions - sliced
2 chopped cloves of garlic
Grated ginger or paste
3 chopped tomatoes
1 tsp of tumeric powder
2 tsp of cumin powder
1 tsp of coriander powder
1 tsp of paprika
1 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp chilli powder (optional if you like it hot)
1 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
500g diced stewing beef
2 potatoes diced
1. Heat the oil until warmed.
2. Add the chillies & whole spices and wait for 30 seconds on a medium heat.
3. Add the onions + some salt, along with the garlic & ginger and cook on a low-medium heat wait until they start browning. Keep stirring from time to time to ensure they don’t burn. Alternatively cook the ginger and garlic first.
4. Once the onions are browned add the ground spices & tomatoes along with a splash of water to make a paste. Leave on a low heat for 10 minutes and stir. Continue to cook until the oil separates from the mixture.
5. Turn the heat up high and add the meat. Stir and put the lid on.
6. After 3-4 minutes turn the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. The beef will release its own moisture.
7. Add enough water to cover the meat and bring to the boil, then turn the heat to medium.
8. Cook on medium for 20 mins then turn heat down to a low simmer for 1.5 hours. Stir occasionally. Add water if needed.
9. Add the potatoes and cook for another hour. Add water as necessary.
10. Keep stiring from time to time, until meat is soft and tender.
11. Once finished sprinkle the chopped coriander leaf. Mix in and serve with rice or bread.
Add salt to taste.