Block of firm paneer approx 250g cut into cubes ( I cheat and use shop bought)
1 red pepper cut into chunks
1 onion cut into large segments
2 tsp Kasuri Methi
Around 3 tbsp of veg oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
3 tbsp ginger/ garlic
Small bunch coriander , stalks finely chopped, leaves chopped separate
1 green chilli finely chopped
2-3 ripe tomatoes quartered
1 tbsp tomato purée diluted with water
1/2 tsp coriander and cumin
1/2tsp tandoori masala
Good pinch of turmeric and Garam masala
1 tsp mild curry powder
1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp Chaat Masala
1. Place paneer in bowl with small amount of oil and crumble in 1 tsp of kasuri methi . Season
2. In another bowl repeat same with the onion and pepper.
3. Fry the paneer in a tbsp oil until golden and set aside.
4.Turn up heat in same pan add more oil if needed and “scorch “ the onion and pepper, frying for a few minutes to get that smokey taste and slightly softened
Turn heat down to medium.
5. Add garlic/ginger and cumin seeds ,fry for a minute then add coriander stalks and then the diluted tomato purée and cook for a minute.
6. Add the rest of the ground spices (except chaat masala) Stir and add a good splash of water .
7. Cook for a minute to cook the spices and add lemon juice , the paneer and the chopped chilli .
8. Add the fresh tomatoes and cook for around 10 minutes Add a little bit more water at this stage, you’re aiming for a thick sauce consistency
Just before end of cooking add the chaat masala and the chopped coriander leaves