Pakistani Chicken Masala
This recipe is a special one, it is a long time family favourite, belonging to one of our loyal Curry Club member. We hope you enjoy it.
1kg chicken boneless
2 onions, finely chopped
3 fresh tomatoes pureed or 1/2 tin of tomatoes
3 Green chillies
1 bulb of garlic, chopped
1 thumb piece of ginger, chopped
1 tbsp of Bassar
1/2 tsp of Deggi Mirch/ Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garam masala.
1 tbsp salt
1/2 cup of cooking oil
1) Add onions to oil on medium heat with salt and fry until golden brown.
2) Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes and green chillies, cook until the oil separates.
3) Add Kashmiri Bassar and Deggi Mirch with a tablespoon of water, cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
4) Increase heat to full and cook chicken until water dries up and you have a brown coating on the chicken, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes.
5) Lower heat to the lowest, add 2 cups of kettle water and simmer for about 10 to 15 mins.
6) Add Garam masala, cumin powder and coriander powder, and simmer for another 5 mins.
7) The sauce should be a nice thick consistency.
Serve with rice, naan or chappati.
NB. all measurements are level tsp, tbsp or cup.