Maash Daal (Urid Daal washed)
1/2 kg urid daal washed - pre boil the dal until almost cooked. Couple of tbsp cooking oil
1 large onion finely sliced
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
4 black cardamon pods
2 chopped tomatoes or 200 ml tomato passata
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
1 tsp crushed cumin seeds
sliced green chillies
1. Take the daal Urid and pre boil daal until almost cooked - whilst it’s boiling make the masala.
2. Heat a couple of tbsp oil in a pot.
3. Add a pinch asafoetida
4. Add the onion and fry until lightly golden.
5. Add 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste cook a minute.
6. Crush black cardamom pods and add to the pot stir.
7. Add tomatoes.
8. Add 1tsp red chilli powder 1 tsp red chilli flakes 1/2 tsp turmeric 1 tsp salt and cook 5-7 minutes.
8. Drain the daal and add to the pot.
9. Mix well and add a cup of water let cook on moderate / high heat stirring continuously to evaporate the water and - you can completely dry it up or leave some sauce whichever your preference
10. Add crushed cumin seeds and crushed coriander seeds sprinkle over and stir in. Cook a further 5 minutes.
11. Add a handful chopped fresh coriander and green chillies stir in
Eat hot with chapattis 😊