Lahori Lamb Karhai
500g - 1kg Lamb
200g tomato passata
2 tbsp ginger garlic paste
2 tsp salt
6-10 green chillies sliced
1 5cm cinnamon stick
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 black cardamoms
12 black peppercorns
1 tsp cumin powder or crushed cumin seeds
1 tsp crushed red chilli flakes
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup to a 1/2 cup vegetable cooking oil
1 tbsp ghee
3 to 1/2 cup plain yoghurt lightly whisked
1 tsp powdered home made Garam masala
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 tbsp fresh coriander
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
30 to 50ml carnation milk
Fresh Coriander, ginger julienne, sliced green chillies for garnish.
1. Pre-boil the lamb, tomato passata, ginger garlic paste and salt in 500 ml to 1 litre water for 20- 30 minutes.
2. Transfer the lamb and it’s liquid to a karhai and continue to boil a further 10 minutes on moderate high heat. Let it bubble away and let the water reduce through the cooking process. Keep stirring throughout so the cooking process.
3. Add the sliced green chillies and continue to cook on moderate heat 5 minutes.
4. Add the whole spices and continue to cook 5 minutes whilst evaporating the water.
5. After 5 minutes add the cumin powder, crushed chilli flakes and turmeric. Continue to boil on moderate heat
6. Continue to cook another 10 minutes until the water has almost evaporated.
7. Add 1/4 cup to 1/2 vegetable oil and 1 tbsp ghee. Continue to cook stirring frequently approximately 5-7 minutes.
8. Add the yoghurt and cook on moderate high heat until the yoghurt is cooked out and dried. Do this by frequently stirring 5-7 minutes.
9. Add the garam masala and the black pepper and cook a couple of minutes.
10. Add 1 tbsp fresh coriander and - tbsp crushed coriander seeds cook 5 minutes. Add the carnation milk a few spoons at a time and cook out 5 minutes.
11. Garnish with fresh coriander, ginger julienned, and sliced green chillies.
12. Serve with chappatis. Enjoy your meal.
13. Visit our shop to purchase the serving dish and spoon.
This recipe has been adapted from Sameer Vlogs Lahori Mutton Karhai.